Thursday, January 8, 2009

The best part of my day.

So, this stay at home mom thing takes getting used to. Specifically, transitioning to the mindset of approaching home like a jobsite. Most of the time, I am still just content to play with the kids, take Ella to school, putz around on the computer, give Noah a nap and a meal, pick up Ella, and that's the entire day. Gone. Every once in a while, I'll get a burst of caffeine energy and do a couple loads of laundry or a load of dishes, pick a few toys and clothes up, but that's the extent of my housekeeping. And I see all these other stay at home moms who run websites, sew clothing, bake cakes, and I don't know how. I don't know how they do it. What's worse, I don't really get why they want to do it. But somehow, because I don't, can't, or don't want to, I am starting to feel pretty inadequate. In my head, I have time and energy to make crafts, make the beds, bake sweets, breastfeed, fold the laundry, and scrub the tub all while caring for my 7 month old and getting my five year old to school and back home. In reality, I'm lucky to get a load of laundry in the washing machine, where it sits for a day or two, and throw a microwave dinner in my mouth around lunchtime. I don't get it. Where do these other women find the hours???



And yet, amidst the chaos and day to day chores, there is inevitably a moment. One moment when nothing else exists, and I see something like this:

















And, just for a second, I don't care about the dirty dishes in the sink, I don't feel the lego poking into the bottom of my foot, and I don't mind the smell of the trash that no one took out last night.

I just see him.

1 comment:

Liana Peacock said...

All those other SAHMs are liars--they buy stuff at craft fairs and say that they made them--haha.
I've been a grad student, who only has a cat and I don't get anything done--I am trying to knit here and there. Being a mom is HARD. I have another friend who just had her first about 7 months ago as well, and she says the same thing--just taking care of her baby takes all of the time up--and really that is the full job, anything beyond that is a bonus. And honey, there is nothing in the world that could make Steph Albao every be inadequate because you're awesome and I haven't even seen you in like 10 years. :)