Monday, February 2, 2009

The Toilet Bowl

Super Bowl Weekend!! woo-hooooo!!!!
Wait. What's that, Ella? You want to get up four times a night and get exploding stomach pains and diarrhea??? Fun!


My poor baby's been battling this gastro crap since Friday. No school for her again today.


Worst. part. of. parenting.
The worst part of having sick kids is the helpless feeling. It's this engrained instinctual thing to want to protect them from every possible ache, pain, sickness, bad thought, papercut, etc. Trying to get my mind to remember that kids have to go through this, that we all go through it, is no easy task. It's as if every pain and tear is a personal attack on my parental self confidence. I don't really know another way to describe it. This instinct is so strong with me, this overprotective mama cub thing, that I do take it too far at times.
But right now, I don't really care. She's siiiiiick.
Gotta go check on the chicken noodle soup on the stove.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I hate that! Last November/November I had kids sick for 23 straight days -- not the same one, obviously. It was not at all fun, and one of them was SO weak and lethargic. And one just recently had the gastro junk that's been going around. What a pain. Your daughter might be too old for this, but take a look at "The Moose with Loose Poops" which is a picture book about a boy with gastro junk going on. SO cute, and very comforting to children. (At least mine loved it.) Not only is it reassuring and lovely, it's also informative for parents. The author is a pediatrician and she just totally gets it. She understands how sick kids feel. No wonder my Emma wanted me to read it again and again.